FEATURES OF BLOOD CELLS’ FATTY ACIDS CONTENT IN PATIENTS WITH DIABETIC RETINOPATHY
Keywords:erythrocytes, platelets, fatty acids, plasma, diabetic retinopathy
The problem of developing effective regimens for the treatment of diabetes retinopathy (DR) continues to be relevant and includes the study of hemorheological disorders in type 2 diabetes. The metabolism of fatty acids (FA) has a signifi cant effect on the structure and physical properties of cell membranes (LC).
The goal is to compare the FA composition in the blood cells of patients with DR, and to determine the most informative model for studying the structural features of the body cells during lipid metabolism disorders.
Materials and methods. Blood plasma, leukocytes, platelet-rich plasma and erythrocytes were investigated in 16 patients of the ophthalmological department (the ratio of women and men 8/8), whose average age was 56.9±9.2 years and who had been diagnosed with proliferative stage DR (one or both eyes).
The average duration of type 2 diabetes in this group was 16.6±3.7 years, the blood glucose level at the study moment was 11.55±1.09 mmol/l. The indices with regard to age and sex of healthy donors were studied for comparison; the level of glucose of venous blood in them was 4.57±1.9 mmol/l. The FA composition was studied by gas chromatography.
Patients were selected with an error of deviation of the FA content in substrates no more than ±10 %. They made up a group of patients with DR for this study.
Results and discussion. Analysis of the FA content and spectrum showed a signifi cant difference in erythrocytes and platelets in patients with DR compared with a group of healthy donors. Calculations of the Spearman rank correlation coeffi cient found a high correlation of erythrocyte and healthy donor indices r=0.97 (p<0.001).
The FA concentration and content in the patients with metabolic shifts plasma is constantly changing, so that the study of the FA spectrum in plasma complicates the interpretation of the data. The study of FA in cell membranes is more appropriate. We measured the FA content in healthy donor’s different blood cells and determined the most informative environment for the FA metabolism analysis.
The methodological features of the substrate taking showed that the cell membrane which maximally isolated from the plasma can be obtained only in erythrocytes. We found that a decrease in the arachidonic FA in erythrocytes and platelets is one of the most signifi cant signs of impaired metabolism of FA in patients with DR.
Arachidonic acid is found in large numbers in platelets and, it performs one of the most important functions of platelets when they are activated. The study of the processes and mechanisms of changing the structure of the membrane, accompanied by fl uctuations of the arachidonic FA is impractical to conduct on platelets. Mix of the pathogenetic mechanisms can infl uence the interpretation of the results.
Conclusion. We believe that the erythrocyte membranes FA study is the most methodologically correct in investigation of the LC metabolism while comparing all blood cells.
Cайт Міністерства охорони здоров’я України [Електронний ресурс]. – Режим доступу: www. moz.gov.ua.
Cheung N. Diabetic retinopathy / N. Cheung, P. Mitchell, T. Y. Wong // Lancet. – 2010. – Vol. 376, № 9735. – Р. 124–136.
Peduzzi M. Comparative evaluation of blood viscosity in diabetic retinopathy / M. Peduzzi, M. Melli, S. Fonda [et al.] // Int Ophthalmol. – 1984. – Vol. 1, № 7 – P. 15–19.
Cho Y. I. Hemoreological Disorders in Diabetes Mellitus / Y. I. Cho, M. P. Mooney, D. J. Cho // J Diabetes Sci Technol. – 2008. – Vol. 2, № 6, – P. 1130–1138.
Хайбуллина З. Р. Состояние периферической крови при острой гипоксии в эксперименте / З. Р. Хайбуллина, Н. Т. Вахидова // Медицина: вызовы сегодняшнего дня: материалы междунар. науч. конф. – Челябинск, 2012. – С. 24–29.
Seki R. Impaired fi lterability of erythrocytes from patients with chronic hepatitis C and effects of eicosapentaenoic acid on the fi lterability / R. Seki, T. Okamura, T. Ide [et al.] // J. Physiol. Sci. – 2007. – Vol. 57, № 1. – P. 43–49.
Зинчук В. В. Деформируемость эритроцитов: физиологические аспекты / В. В. Зинчук // Усп. физиол. наук. – 2001. – Т. 32 (3). – С. 66–78.
Бобынцева О. В. Количественное содержание липидов и белков клеточных мембран эритроцитов и их корреляционные взаимосвязи у человека: дис. … канд. биол. наук: спец. 03.00.04. «Биохимия» / О. В. Бобынцева. – Курск, 2006. – 163 с.
Горис А. П. Морфофункциональные особенности эритроцитов у лиц различных возрастных групп: автореф. дис. … канд. биол. наук: спец. 03.03.01 «Физиология» / А. П. Горис. – Ульяновск, 2012. – 16 с.
Hussein J. S. Cell membrane fatty acids and health /J. S. Hussein // Int. J. Pharm. Sci. – 2013. – Vol. 5, № 3. – P. 38–46.
Cooper G. M. The cell. A molecular approach / G. M. Cooper // Sunderland: Boston Univ. – 2000. – Vol. 2nd ed. – P. 739.
Lombardo Y. B. Effects of dietary polyunsaturated n–3 fatty acids on dyslipidemia and insulin resistance in rodents and humans. A review / Y. B. Lombardo, A. G. Chicco // J. Nutr. Biochem. – 2006. – Vol. 17, № 1. – P. 1–13.
Dey D. Fatty acid represses insulin receptor gene expression by impairing HMGA1 through protein kinase Cepsilon / D. Dey, A. Bhattacharya, S. Roy, S. Bhattacharya // Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun. – 2007. – Vol. 357, № 2. – P. 474 –479.
Enriquez Y. R. Fatty acid composition of erythrocyte phospholipids is related to insulin levels, secretion and resistance in obese type 2 diabetics on Metformin / Y. R. Enriquez, M. Giri, R. Rottiers, A. Christophe // Clin. Chim. Acta. – 2004. – Vol. 346, № 2. – P. 145–152.
Біохімія: підручник / за загальною редакцією проф. А. Л. Загайка, проф. К. В. Александрової – Х.: Вид-во «Форт», 2014. –728 с.
Нгуен З. Х. Липидный обмен при сахарном диабете и его осложнениях (экспериментально-клиническое исследование): автореф. дис. … канд. мед. наук: спец. 03.01.04 «Биологическая химия», 14.03.03 «Патологическая физиология» /З. Х. Нгуен – М., 2015. – 25 с.
Koehrer P. Erythrocyte Phospholipid and Polyunsaturated Fatty Acid Composition in Diabetic Retinopathy/ P. Koehrer, S. Saab, O. Berdeaux [et al.] //PLoS One. – 2014. – Vol. 9 (9). – e106912. – DOI: 10.1371/journal.pone.0106912.
Copyright (c) 2019 Archive of Ukrainian Ophthalmology
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Our edition uses the copyright terms of Creative Commons for open access journals.
Authors, who are published in this journal, agree with the following terms:
- The authors retain rights for authorship of their article and grant to the edition the right of first publication of the article on a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License, which allows others to freely distribute the published article, with the obligatory reference to the authors of original works and original publication in this journal.
- Directing the article for the publication to the editorial board (publisher), the author agrees with transmitting of rights for the protection and using the article, including parts of the article, which are protected by the copyrights, such as the author’s photo, pictures, charts, tables, etc., including the reproduction in the media and the Internet; for distributing; for the translation of the manuscript in all languages; for export and import of the publications copies of the writers’ article to spread, bringing to the general information.
- The rights mentioned above authors transfer to the edition (publisher) for the unlimited period of validity and on the territory of all countries of the world.
- The authors guarantee that they have exclusive rights for using of the article, which they have sent to the edition (publisher). The edition (the publisher) is not responsible for the violation of given guarantees by the authors to the third parties.
- The authors have the right to conclude separate supplement agreements that relate to non-exclusive distribution of their article in the form in which it had been published in the journal (for example, to upload the work to the online storage of the journal or publish it as part of a monograph), provided that the reference to the first publication of the work in this journal is included.
- The policy of the journal permits and encourages the publication of the article in the Internet (in institutional repository or on a personal website) by the authors, because it contributes to productive scientific discussion and a positive effect on efficiency and dynamics of the citation of the article.
- The rights to the article are deemed transferred by the authors to the edition (the publisher) since the moment of the publication of the article in the printed or electronic version of journal.